Homeownership, kitties, knitting and more!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

I Like to Make Things: the Project Linus Blanket

Project Linus Blanket

Project Linus Blanket Pattern

I LOVED this project! Sam's sister wanted something to give a co-worker as a baby shower gift, and asked if i would knit something. This pattern came to mind immediately, having seen it in the book Knitting for Peace. Mom-to-be was described to me as "kind of a hippy...and a vegan." So i wanted to keep that in mind choosing a yarn, plus the fact that it is for a baby. Babies that poop, pee, puke, and spit on most everything. So a machine washable yarn it had to be!
Knit Picks to the rescue!!! I went with their Simply Cotton in the worsted weight. I thought this would be a good choice because, yes, it was machine washable, and organic with no dyes used. The yarn knit up soft and squishy, perfect for a baby blanket! I'd heard that some folks had problems with the yarn splitting, but i didn't. Not even with my extra pointy metal needles.
The only problem i had with the pattern was swatching. I couldn't seem to get the lace sequence to come out right. I was working with the pattern out of the Knitting for Peace book, but the link (above) from the Project Linus website explained that it is worked over multiples of eleven plus one. Mystery solved! It's an impressive looking result that is EASY!
One of my favorite knitting projects to date.

No comments: